I will never understand where old men get these crazy ideas. I am positioned at the front door at my work place. This means I sign for all the deliveries from UPS/FedEx as well as for the toilet paper guy and Staples. I'm friendly to all of them. I don't know their names and I never spend more than 30 seconds chatting with them while I either sign their delivery receipt or tell them where to unload. But there's this one guy. This one guy has decided that I'm friendly enough to make physical contact with. He delivers the big rolls of plotter paper and the toner for the copy machine.
He's a little hispanic guy in his late 50s early 60s and stands about 5' 3". I don't know when it happened. But one day when I was standing at my desk on the phone and dealing with multiple tasks he wheeled his dolly around to the more open side of my desk to hand me his receipt to sign and gave me a hug when I returned it. WTH you might be asking!? And the answer is I don't know. It could have been near the holidays or something. And it was just a one armed hug, like 'Oh-I've-known-you semi-regularly-for-the-last-year-and-it's-Christmas-see-you-next-year' kind of thing. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But now it's horribly awkward. He started saying things like "Oh, I'll be back for my hug when I drop these off" and actually waiting around for me to finish my task to get this delivery hug in...
Obviously this is completely inappropriate. Not only because delivery drivers have no business touching the customers, but also because of the expectation! Who thinks that it's acceptable to hug the front desk girl!? And now that I'm pregnant it's even weirder. I have to find a way to tell him it's not ok because i can't hide from my desk every time he comes in.
No comments:
Post a Comment